Summer Term 2017
Welcome to the summer term! We hope you had a wonderful Easter break. Your children have settled back into the school routine very well! This is a quite a long term it will be full of interesting and exciting learning. In June we have the visit to Woburn Safari Park to look forward to. It will be a fantastic trip and will link nicely into our term’s topic. I am very excited about the trip!
This term our topic is ‘Where the Wild Things Are’. Topic work will be incorporated in as many areas as possible across the curriculum. In English this term we will be exploring fiction stories, in particular those with a ‘fantasy’ focus. They will be considering thoughts and emotions and discussing comparisons and similarities between books. They will also get the chance to write their own innovated version. The children will also be looking at non-fiction books and will write in this genre also. They will also be learning about the features of a recount and will begin to write their own from the first week back. We will continue to work on grammar, spelling and punctuation during our guided reading sessions.
In Maths we will be consolidating our knowledge of number, the four operations, time and money. We will also be looking once again at fractions during the first part of the term.
On a Wednesday, ICT will continue with Mr Moore. French will continue with Madame Bending on a Thursday morning together with PE with one of our Premier Sports colleagues who will also be delivering a PE session on the Wednesday too.
Things to note:
· Your child needs your encouragement and any help you can give them with reading, the practise of spellings and times tables will prove invaluable.
· Ideally earrings should not be removed for P.E, should this not be possible they should be covered with tape or plasters (please provide this as part of the PE kit). Long hair should be tied back for P.E, so again please make sure your child has the necessary hair band(s).
· Reading is a very important part of your child’s daily routine; please try to read with your child daily for 15 minutes. This will help greatly in their development of vocabulary and improve their reading and writing skills.
· It is also necessary for your child to bring in their reading book and completed reading log daily to be reviewed within school. It is the child’s responsibility to complete AR tests (if appropriate) and change books once they have read and understood the book(s).
· Homework will be sent home on a Monday and is due back on the Friday.. Children should spend approximately 30 minutes completing it. Children are earning a “thumbs up” card as a reward for timely completion of their homework. Please come and talk to Mrs Acton if you have any questions or queries about the homework.
· Mrs Acton is normally available at the end of the school day should you wish to raise any minor concerns. If there is a bigger issue please arrange an appointment through the school office.
· All clothes, shoes, PE kit and coats must be clearly labelled with your child’s name.
· Children are encouraged to bring an extra water bottle each day which can be kept in class this ensures we all drink enough throughout the day.
· It is important that your child has his/her P.E in school all week.
Dates for your diary:
27th June 2017 Woburn Trip
Click here for more information.